Instagram has today become a rising sensation and addiction for a lot of people out there. Although it helps us to connect to our family and friends, its overuse affects our mental health. We start our day by posing a social media update and end it a the same note. We spend more than usual time on social media without even realizing it. In addition, the increase in cybercrimes and bullying often leads to putting the victim in depression.
Since we had already spent so much of our precious time on Instagram and Facebook, we often fail when it comes to staying away from it. Thus, we feel like deleting or deactivating our social media accounts and enjoy being more happy and realistic.
Here in this article, we will help you to succeed in getting rid of how to delete Instagram.
Deleting VS disabling Instagram
So, there are many reasons for which one would want to take a break from social media. Firstly, you have to decide that you want to get rid of Instagram permanently, or it’s just a social media detox for a short period.
If you want to go off social media for a short span, you shall opt for deactivating your account. Deactivating your Instagram would temporarily hide all your photos, comments, likes, and even your profile from the public. However, and your followers are not gone forever. Your account will remain hidden unless you reactivate it.
On the other hand, deleting the account is the right option only if you want to get rid of Instagram permanently. It means that once you delete your account, the entire Instagram history is removed forever including, all of your photos, videos, Story archives, messages, likes, and followers. All of it will be gone forever, and there would be no way to it back. Not even Instagram can help you if you change your mind later. So, it’s essential that you give due consideration to the thought of deletion. It will be as if your account was never in existence. Neither will you be able to reactivate your account, nor can you make another account with a similar username.
How To Deactivate Your Instagram Account Temporarily
To deactivate the install account temporarily, you should be following the steps provided below.
- Firstly, log in to your Instagram account through the web and not via an app.
- Then go to your profile, then select edit profile at the top-right corner.
- Now, scroll down to the end of the page, and you will see an option to Temporarily disable my account. Tap or click the option in the bottom right.
- Once you click on that option, Instagram will show you a page with a drop-down menu next to Why are you disabling your account?.
- You have to select a possibility from the dropdown menu and then re-enter your password.
- Concerned about my data
- Just need a break
- Can’t finding people to following
- Privacy concerns
- Too busy or too distracting
- Want to remove something
- too many ads
If your reason for deactivating the Instagram account doesn’t fit into the options available, or if you are not comfortable specifying the reason, you can always pick the Something else option.
The last step is to click the Temporarily Disable Account button to succeed in the deactivation process.
However, you re-activate your account anytime by simply logging in back into the account. Also, you should keep in mind that you can deactivate your account only once a week.
How To Delete Your Instagram Account
Once you are 100% sure that you want to delete your account permanently, you can then follow up with the following steps:-
- In order to delete your Instagram account, Instagram has provided a dedicated page. You must log in to this page of Instagram directly from the web and not from the app.
- Then from the drop down menu, you will have to select a reason for deletion. The reasons given in the option are:-
1). Concerned about my data
2).Too many ads
4). Concerned about my data
5). Created a second account
6). Trouble getting started
7). Want to remove something.
8). Concerned about my data
9). Something else.
Instagram also provides links to some of the articles to its Help Center related to your reason. You can then choose the option that fits your reason the most. However, if your appropriate reason for deletion isn’t in the list, you can drop-down menu.
- You will then have to re-enter your password.
- Click on the Permanently delete my account button at the bottom left of the page.
Once you click on the Permanently delete my account button, your account will then become irrecoverable.
Download Your Data Before Deletion
Since you cannot retrieve your data after the account is deleted permanently, you should download your essential data before handed. In order to download your data including, photos, and videos you should consider the following:-
- Firstly, log in to your Instagram profile and click on settings.
- Then, Click on Privacy & Security and click Request Download.
- You will be then asked to enter the email address where you would prefer to install a link to your Instagram data, supported by your password.
- You will then the link to your data via an email within 48 hours, the mail will be titled Your Instagram Data. Then you can simply download the data.
In today’s world, social media has become more of harm than good. The increase in the rate of cybercrimes is highly uncontrollable. Thus, it’s crucial that we use social media with complete privacy and security, abiding by the rules and policies. You should protect your privacy and use social media to the limits which are acceptable and safe.
So, it’s good to get away from the Social era and take a break to maintain your peace and mental health. Hopefully, the article was informative and would help to go on a social media detox with ease.