Studying in college, no matter whether it is in the USA or UK, requires writing various English academic works, from essays to research papers. So, a professor gives you an assignment. There are instructions and guidelines. As a writer, you need to deal with structure, content, style, and grammar. While the written part with all these elements seems crucial, many people forget about proofreading. You should know that making the best paper does not always depend on your writing capabilities. Often, the best writers are students who spend sufficient time proofreading, increasing the quality of the report by polishing its every aspect.
Fortunately, several key elements can help a student to become an expert proofreader. These tools assist you in understanding the role of psychological factors and formal aspects that play a vital role in proofreading. It would be best if you were ready to follow specific guidelines that create a particular mindset and equip them with instruments that help turn any essay or a research paper into a work of art. Keeping that in mind, we would like to offer several fundamental techniques that will help boost the quality of your paper and assist you in making sure that your work is unique and error-free.
Zen of Proofreading
Proofreading is the process that helps you see the potential areas for paper improvement. Essentially, proofreading techniques stem from the part that requires direct input, change of the content, and the part that needs indirect input, change of mindset. Starting with the mindset component, the essential proofreading techniques are the following:
- Step away from writing and change focus. Researching, writing, and editing is a challenging process that takes effort and time. There is a massive chance that you will be overwhelmed with all the information after doing all the writing. Therefore, if the deadline for the paper allows, take a couple of hours break and proofread the paper with a clear and well-rested mind.
- The evidence shows that good proofreading is a slow process. Your brain always looks for mistakes and unfit patterns when you examine paper closely and without haste. Interestingly, reading an essay or research aloud allows you to ensure that each given word or punctuation is verified. Besides, reading a paper aloud will help your brain detect writing that sounds awkward or does not fit the context.
- Proofreading is a skill that can be taught and learned. If you are not sure about your editing and proofreading skills, you can take courses to boost the quality of the approach. Some online courses may offer significant evidence-based insights for improving both your writing and proofreading.
- If you do not have time for proofreading, you can always hire a professional. Every paper or piece of writing you have needs proofreading, and there are teams of experts who provide full essay writing help on affordable websites like AffordablePapers. With the service, you as a customer can buy high quality assistance for a relatively cheap price and be sure that the company with its top professionals will review your original work from scratch and provide the best personalized tips showing how to make the paper polished. There is an opportunity to order such reviews online with a number of custom companies to choose from.
Pen and Ink Approach
When you have changed your mindset and exhausted all the options mentioned above, it is time to make your hands “dirty.” We offer you a number of direct approaches that can help make your paper more readable and easy to understand.
- Less is more. Many papers, including essays and research, fail because of the excess words. As a student, there is always an urge to fit as much content as possible to meet the word count. In practice, such an approach is counterproductive. With excess words, writing becomes incomprehensible, and losses flow. So, as a starting point, take your paper and remove excess words to make the writing concise and direct.
- The structure is vital. Colleges all over the world employ academic standards that make it easier to have universal principles of writing. Sentence structure is one of the most critical aspects of proofreading. More specifically, pay particular attention to sentence fragments, run-on sentences, and proper subject to verb agreement. Checking for such vital yet straightforward elements can help drastically improve the quality of your paper.
- The power of technology. Do not forget that there are various types of software that can assist you in writing, editing, and proofreading of any type of paper. Perhaps, using online editing tools is a must for every student who wants to become more proficient in writing and proofreading. Most programs have an intuitive user interface and provide crucial help in making your essay or research more effective and appealing.
- Proofread multiple times. There is an exciting moment about editing and proofreading. No matter how many times you re-checked the paper, there always will be something to correct or improve. So, we advise you to proofread several times. However, do not be too fixated on proofreading. There is always a deadline to follow.
Tips and Tricks
Leaving behind all the formal approaches proven effective in making proofreading better, there are several tips and tricks you can employ to improve your paper. First, proofread backward. The approach will force you to look at the elements of the paper instead of its meaning. With such a method, you can improve the quality of your writing without changing the meaning of the essay. Second, pay attention to your typical mistakes. You are used to employing passive voice too often, then start by changing it in the paper. Every student has a certain style, and the same is true for making mistakes. Third, ask an expert proofreader for their opinion before you polish each sentence to make them smooth, clear, and appealing. Be sure that a polished essay will get you a high grade and the professor’s appreciation.
Last But Not Least
Proofreading is the art of making your writing better. By using the techniques we offer, you can make your essays and research sound more professional. Besides, you will learn to avoid the same mistakes in the future, which will boost the quality of your writing. Remember, when it seems that you do not have the strength left to make a final stride and proofread the paper, there are services, websites, and people who can help you.