Parmar’s COVID-19 report had put the fifth and final Test in jeopardy. However, negative PCR results of visiting players have given the Test a go-ahead. “All the players have returned with negative test,” a senior BCCI source told PTI. However, according to sources, a senior player in the Indian camp doesn’t want to take the field, fearing someone might test positive during the course of the fifth Test. The Indian board is trying to persuade the cricketer, whose family is also against him playing the Test.
Earlier in the day, the Indian team had to cancel its practice session after the junior physio tested positive for the virus. On Monday, India head coach Ravi Shastra and two of his close contacts, bowling coach Bharat Arum and fielding coach R Sridhar had returned positive for COVID-19. Only batting coach Vibram Retour was with the team when it won the fourth Test at the Oval on the final day. India currently lead the five-Test series 2-1.
The fifth Test between India and England will go ahead as per schedule after the ECB announced there have been no further positive Covid tests in the Indian camp. All the 21 players of the Indian Test squad tested negative for COVID-19.
The entire Indian group had to undergo RT-PCR tests after assistant physio Yogesh Parmar tested positive for COVID-19 on Thursday. Ahead of the fifth and final Test against England, Parmar tested positive for Covid-19 in Manchester. This had led to Team India’s training session for Thursday afternoon being cancelled.
However, there are no Covid-19 related worries in the England camp and Jos Butler said everything is fine and the hosts are looking forward to the game. “We don’t know too much about it at the moment. It would be naïve to speculate on what’s going on. At the moment we’re fully expecting the game to go ahead and we’re preparing that way so fingers crossed the game will go ahead. Things are fine in our camp and we are looking forward to the game,” said Butler in a virtual press conference.
The Indians had already lost their head physio Nitin Patel, who is currently in isolation after testing positive along with head coach Ravi Shastra and bowling coach Bharath Arum in London. Meanwhile, at least one senior Indian player doesn’t want to take the field as he fears someone might test positive while playing the game, reported PTI. The BCCI is trying to persuade that senior cricketer, whose family is also against him playing the game, it added.
According to earlier reports, England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has asked the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) to forfeit the match. However, after consulting skipper Virat Kohli and senior batsman Rohit Sharma, the BCCI have “made it absolutely clear” that the Indian team will not forfeit the Test match “even if it meant playing the game under
While chances have increased of the Test match happening, sources are also saying that at least one senior Indian player doesn’t want to take the field as he fears someone might test positive while playing the game. The BCCI is trying to persuade that senior cricketer, whose family is also against him playing the game, according to a source. It is learnt that ECB chairman Tom Harrison is trying to talk to the high-profile player and address his concerns. All the other members of the side are in favour of match going ahead. It is expected that Ravindra Jadeja and Jasprit Bumrah are set to be rested for the match, if it goes ahead per schedule.